EYEcenter Optometric | Vision Therapy Services in Citrus Heights, CA
With doctor-prescribed, individualized vision exercises and activities, patients graduate from our program with a vast improvement in visual processing which often correlates with a heightened school performance and positive self-esteem.
- Smart in everything but school
- Frequently loses place or skips words when reading
- Squinting, eye rubbing or excessive blinking
- Headaches, dizziness or nausea after reading
- Short attention span
- Fatigue, frustration or stress doing schoolwork
- Labeled dyslexic/ADD/behavioral problem
- Poor reading comprehension or fluency
- Difficulty copying from the board
- Double vision/images go “in and out” of focus
Who can benefit from vision therapy?
An effective method of treatment for patients of all ages and for many conditions that affect the visual system, including but not limited to:
- Oculomotor dysfunction (eye movement disorders)
- Accommodative disorders (eye focusing disorders)
- Non-strabismic binocular disorders (eye teaming disorders)
- Strabismus (crossed eyes)
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Visual sequelae of acquired brain injury (stroke or concussion)
- Visual information processing disorders
These vision problems are treatable!
Does your child fit any of the above symptoms? Take our Vision Therapy Assessment here!
Over Fifty Years of Success
The vision therapy department has been an established part of EYEcenter for over fifty years. We receive referrals from many professionals, including optometrists, physicians, psychologists, educators and rehabilitation specialists for the diagnosis and treatment of conditions in the following areas: eye muscle weaknesses including tracking, eye alignment and focusing; visual information processing; and vision-related learning issues.
Vision & Learning
Contrary to popular notion, vision and sight are not one in the same. Sight is how clearly you see at various distances, ie "20/20," and vision refers to what does your brain do with what it sees. Since reading is the process by which all other subjects are learned, it is critically important for both vision and sight to be in correct working order. 20/20 only tells you part of the story--in order to evaluate your child's full visual system, they should have a specialized eye exam by a developmental optometrist. Read More
Approximately 2/3 of our patients are referred to us by teachers, learning disability specialists, and other educators. The other third are patients that come into our practice on their own. We have a standardized questionnaire called CISS (conversion insufficiency signs and symptoms).
All parents of children 18 years of age and younger are given this questionnaire so we can pinpoint those kids who are having problems. A score of 15 or less on that questionnaire is considered normal. A score of 16-20 is borderline. This is a child who needs to be monitored for frustration with reading and learning. Any score above 20 means the child's vision is definitely adversely impacting their ability to read and learn. Read More
The benefits are life-changing. Just a few weeks ago I had a parent come in and say “I am bringing my grandson in to see you for vision therapy. You did such wonderful work with my son 25 years ago and it was a turning point in his life in fourth grade. He was a non-reader and hated reading. Today he is a practicing physician. I want you to check my grandson. I told her that I was so happy I had a positive influence on your son. She responded “No, you don’t understand. That was the tipping point for him. He hating reading and therefore hated school, and was very frustrated. After vision therapy, he started picking up reading, really enjoying it, and ended up going to med school!” Read More
What is Vivid Vision?
Play exciting virtual reality games to treat lazy eye
- Designed for amblyopia, strabismus, and convergence disorders
- Designed for all ages — both kids and adults
- Use conveniently at EYEcenter under doctor supervision
- Interactive and exciting exercises and vision assessments
Office Hours & Locations
Vision Therapy Clinic at our Citrus Heights Location!