Hints about tints to boost your sports vision
People tend to view sunglasses as a fashion accessory for the summer, along with being a way to safeguard eyes against UV rays. Yet, your designer frames can add much more to your life. Depending on the tint of the lenses, sunglasses can also enhance or distort colors. This gives them the ability to sharpen your sight in certain situations, which is particularly valuable for sports vision.
How do you know which sunglasses tint will work best for your lifestyle? When you choose a pair of designer frames from one of our optical stores in Citrus Heights, Gold River, Rocklin, Folsom and Sacramento, our eye care staff will discuss your daily needs – such as the type of activities you do that require crisp sports vision, and how do you spend your summer – in order to select the right tinted lenses for your sunglasses.
Each tint filters light differently
Here’s our eye doctor’s helpful guide for choosing sunglasses:
- Gray – A popular neutral tint that enables you to perceive pure colors. Gray tints diminish glare and brightness on a sunny summer day. They’re good for running, golf and biking, and they provide clear vision for driving.
- Yellow/Orange – These colors are great at increasing contrast in low-light or hazy conditions, however, they can also distort colors. Yellow shades can be ideal for snow activities and indoor ball sports.
- Green – Green tints reduce glare, filter blue light, and provide visual sharpness with high contrast. When playing precision sports, such as baseball, tennis or golf, green tints can upgrade your sports vision.
- Amber/Brown – Both of these tints block blue light and lower glare, so they can brighten your vision on cloudy days. Because they block blue light, they also sharpen contrast and visual acuity, especially against green and blue backgrounds – such as grass and sky. They’re a good match for fishing, golf, hunting, baseball, water sports, and cycling.
- Rose/Red – A red-tinted lens can enhance contrast for partly cloudy conditions. It also allows you to see well while riding or jogging under shady trees in dim light.
- Purple – Purple provides contrast against green backgrounds, which is especially useful for tennis or golf.
Tints for prescription lenses
If you require prescription lenses to see clearly, tinted lenses are not a problem. At our eye care centers in Citrus Heights, Gold River, Rocklin, Folsom and Sacramento, we craft sunglasses with a wide range of tints and protection against UV rays for all vision prescriptions.
To discuss which tint is best for your sports vision needs, stop in to consult with our experienced staff at EYEcenter Optometric - your expert eye care center near me. In addition to tinted lenses, we also offer photochromic Transitions lenses and a variety of optional lens coatings.
At EYEcenter Optometric, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 916-727-6518 or book an appointment online to see one of our Citrus Heights eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!