Specialty lenses for keratoconus and other corneal disorders
It used to be that people with keratoconus and other corneal irregularities were not able to wear contacts. Nowadays though, advanced materials and high-tech engineering have led to the development of contact lenses for almost every vision condition. A diverse range of specialty contacts for hard-to-fit patients are available, such as scleral lenses.
At EYEcenter Optometric, our optometrist specializes in fitting scleral lenses in Citrus Heights; if you are interested in learning more about scleral lenses and whether or not they can help you, contact us to book a consultation.
Scleral lenses explained
These contacts are rigid gas permeable lenses with an extra-wide diameter that vaults over your cornea and comes to rest on the whites of your eyes – the sclera. This type of fit creates a smoothly rounded optical surface to cover the irregular corneal surface. As a result, scleral lenses give clear and comfortable eyesight to people with an abnormal cornea.
Candidates for scleral lenses
- Corneal disorders: Our optometrist typically recommends scleral lenses in our Citrus Heights eye care office for patients with keratoconus, corneal degenerations, corneal dystrophies, and corneal scarring.
- Dry eye syndrome: In addition to the above eye conditions, we may also recommend scleral lenses for people who suffer from dry eye syndrome, chronic inflammatory conditions, and Sjorgen’s disease. That’s because scleral lenses bridge over the eye in a shape that leaves a gap, which fills with moist tears. This lubricating, therapeutic cushion can enhance visual comfort significantly.
- High vision prescription: People who need very high lens powers that exceed the standard parameters of soft contact lenses can benefit from scleral lenses.
- Legal blindness: Innovative scleral lenses can help sharpen eyesight for even the most severe corneal scarring that causes legal blindness. Our Citrus Heights eye doctor has helped many patients who were classified as legally blind to see sharp with scleral lenses.
- Extreme astigmatism: People with severe astigmatism are often told that they cannot wear contacts. However, scleral lenses are a game-changer in this situation. The precise, custom-designed fit of rigid sclerals can correct astigmatism with outstanding results. We are experienced in providing vision correction for astigmatism at EYEcenter Optometric.
Fitting scleral lenses
During your contact lenses eye exam in Citrus Heights, we will use advanced corneal topography to map your cornea. These ultra-accurate measurements enable the manufacture of scleral lenses that are tailor-made for your eyes. Our office is equipped with the latest technology to ensure that you enjoy an efficient eye care experience and scleral lenses that fit perfectly.
Scleral lenses: insertion, removal, and care instructions
The first few times you insert your scleral lenses, you may find it complicated. But have no worries, our Citrus Heights optometrist will provide comprehensive training before you take your new specialty lenses home. After a short practice session with insertion and removal, you’ll be comfortable and confident. Keep in mind that scleral lenses are very durable, which makes handling them easy.
Caring for your scleral lenses is similar to caring for standard contact lenses. After you remove them from your eyes, you’ll need to clean and store them in the recommended disinfectant solution.
Cost of Scleral Lenses
In comparison to regular gas permeable lenses, scleral lenses can be costlier. However, when you compare the price of scleral lenses to a year’s supply of soft lenses, the difference isn’t substantial. And once you experience their enhanced comfort and crisper visual clarity first-hand, the cost of scleral lenses will become even less of an issue.
Our Citrus Heights eye doctors provide expert fittings for scleral lenses; contact us to find out if these specialty lenses for hard-to-fit vision conditions can help you!
At EYEcenter Optometric, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 916-727-6518 or book an appointment online to see one of our Citrus Heights eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!